A Solid State Drive stores data on solid flash memory. The Solid State Drive is made up of two key components namely the NAND flash memory and flash controller. It is also built to hold an electrical charge and retain data when it is not connected to the power source. Solid State Drives can be used in a range of devices like digital cameras, tablets, computer games, digital music players, PCs, laptops, and more. So, in this article, we will compare the Samsung 850 EVO vs 870 QVO and choose which is better.
The Samsung 850 EVO comes with a wide range of storage capacities and performance. This has excellent TurboWrite technology and a sequential read and writes feature. It also comes with a RAPID mode to boost performance for up to two times data processing speeds and more. The Samsung 870 QVO comes with a maximum storage capacity of 8GB. It delivers reliability with a refined ECC algorithm that allows a stable performance.
So, let us discuss the similarities between the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO come with a Samsung V-Nand technology that provides excellent performance for everyday computing. It also gives more opportunity to rendering large-sized 4K videos and 3D files.
They have a similar 2.5-inch form factor. The form factor 2.5-inch SATA is suitable for desktop PCs and Laptops. The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 comes with a dimension (100 x 69.85 x 6.8) mm.
Both devices are compatible with XP (SP2 and above), Vista (SP1 and above), Windows 7, 8, Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit), macOSX, and Linux. The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO are compatible with other devices having a 2.5″ SATA slot.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO are both compatible with interfaces like SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s interface.
Samsung 850 EVO
Samsung 870 QVO
|Device type||Internal Solid State Drive||Internal Solid State Drive|
|Digital device storage||120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB||1TB, 2TB, 4TB, and 8TB|
|Hard Disk factor||2.50 inches and M.2 (2280)||2.50 inches|
|Interface||SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s||SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s|
|Max sequential read speed||Up to 540 MB/s||Up to 560 MB/s|
|Max sequential write speed||Up to 520 MB/s||Up to 530 MB/s|
|Compatibility||Windows 7, 8, and Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit). Vista SP1 and above, XP (SP2 and above), macOSX, and Linux.||Windows 7, 8, and Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit). Vista SP1 and above, XP (SP2 and above), macOSX, and Linux.|
In this section, we will discuss the difference between the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO.
Both devices come with different speed performance.
- Samsung 850 EVO: This drive comes with a sequential read speed of 540 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 520 MB/s. The Samsung 850 EVO comes with a rapid mode to boost performance for up to 2x faster data processing speeds by using unused PC memory as cache storage. This device also delivers 75 to 300 terabytes written.
- Samsung 860 EVO: The Samsung 870 EVO has a sequential read speed of 560 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 530 MB/s. It delivers 360 to 2880 terabytes written for each model.
Although they have a similar form factor that is the 2.5-inch form factor, the Samsung 850 EVO also comes with a different form factor that is not similar to the Samsung 870 QVO.
- Samsung 850 EVO: This drive comes with the SATA-based M.2 or the mSATA for ultra-slim computing. The SATA-based M.2 has a dimension (3.94 x 2.75 x 0.27) mm. The Samsung 850 EVO has a maximum weight of 55.0g.
- Samsung 870 QVO: The Samsung 870 QVO doesn’t have other form factors like the SATA-based M.2 or the mSATA for ultra-slim computing. It has a maximum weight of 57.0g.
- Samsung 850 EVO: It comes with secure encryptions that protect the data when you select any of the security options. The AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption complaint has a TCG Opal and IEEE 1667 feature to better secure your file.
- Samsung 870 QVO: The secure encryption of data does not apply to the Samsung 870 QVO.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO comes with storage capacity ranging from 120GB to 8TB.
- Samsung 850 EVO: This solid-state drive comes with storage capacities like 120 GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB. With the Samsung 850 EVO, you can have a variety of storage capacity and it is excellent for low-budget earners.
- Samsung 870 QVO: The Samsung 870 QVO comes has a storage capacity such as 1TB, 2TB, 4TB, and 8TB. It comes with a faster transfer rate and quality performance that allows lets you store 4K movies, thousands of photos, 3D graphics, and tons of games without compromising the speed.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO come in different warranties.
- Samsung 850 EVO: The Samsung 850 EVO has a limited 5-year warranty.
- Samsung 850 QVO: The Samsung 870 QVO has a limited 3-year warranty.
Pros and Cons
Before our final verdict, we will go over a few pros and cons of the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 870 QVO.