The Solid State Drive is a drive that comes with no moving parts; it has a speed that is 100 times more than a magnetic disk. It consumes less power and decreases heat loss during operation. The device is stronger and more reliable compared to other types of storage devices and it comes with higher storage capacity. In this article, we would compare the Samsung 850 EVO vs 860 EVO and choose which is better.
The Samsung 850 EVO helps to transform everyday computing experience and optimized performance and endurance. It comes with a wide range of form factors and storage capacities. This device comes with unique TurboWrite technology and a sequential read and writes feature. The Samsung 860 EVO is a new type of solid-state drive with features beneficial to users with large files. It has enhanced performance with consistent speed, multi-tasking, and heavy workloads.
So, let us discuss the similarities between the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO.
The appearance of both devices is similar and they have a similar form factor. These form factors fit into a variety of computers. The form factors range from 2.5-inch size for desktop PCs and laptops to SATA –based M.2 or the mSATA for Ultra-slim computing applications. You can choose which size you desire to have. The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO both have a dimension (100 x 69.85 x 6.8) mm.
The Samsung 860 EVO and the Samsung 860 QVO come with an innovative V-Nand technology which is driven by Samsung V-Nand Technology. This offers unique performance for everyday computing as well as giving more opportunity to process large-sized 4K videos and 3D data.
Both devices are compatible with XP (SP2 and above), Vista (SP1 and above), Windows 7, 8, Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit), macOSX, and Linux. The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO are compatible with laptops and PCs having 2.5” 7mm SATA drives.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO have secure encryptions that protect your data when you select any of the security options. These secure encryption options are AES 256-bit hardware-based encryption complaint which also comes with TCG Opal and IEEE 1667.
Both Solid State Drive is compatible with an interface like SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s interface.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO offers a limited warranty of 5 years.
Samsung 850 EVO
Samsung 860 EVO
|Device type||Internal Solid State Drive||Internal Solid State Drive|
|Digital device storage||120GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB||250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, 4TB|
|Hard Disk factor||2.50 inches and M.2 (2280)||2.50 inches and M.2 (2280)|
|Interface||SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s||SATA 1.5 Gb/s, SATA 3 Gb/s, and SATA 6 Gb/s|
|Max sequential read speed||Up to 540 MB/s||Up to 550 MB/s|
|Max sequential write speed||Up to 520 MB/s||Up to 520 MB/s|
|Compatibility||Windows 7, 8, and Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit). Vista SP1 and above, XP (SP2 and above), macOSX, and Linux operating systems.||Windows 7, 8, and Windows Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit). Vista SP1 and above, XP (SP2 and above), macOSX, and Linux operating systems.|
In this section, we will discuss the difference between the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO comes with storage capacity ranging from 120GB to 4TB.
- Samsung 850 EVO: This solid-state drive comes in sizes like 120 GB, 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB. The Samsung 850 EVO lets you can choose which disk space your money can afford.
- Samsung 860 EVO: The Samsung 860 EVO comes in sizes like 250GB, 500GB, 1TB, 2TB, and 4TB. This storage space delivers a faster transfer rate and quality performance. It also lets you store hours of your favorite 4K movies, thousands of photos, and tons of games without compromising the speed.
Both devices come with different TurboWrite speed.
- Samsung 850 EVO: The Samsung 850 EVO comes with a sequential read speed of 540 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 520 MB/s. It has a rapid mode to boost performance for up to 2x faster data processing speeds by using unused PC memory as cache storage. This device also delivers 75 to 300 terabytes written.
- Samsung 860 EVO: This solid-state drive has a sequential read speed of 550 MB/s and a sequential write speed of 520 MB/s. It delivers 150 to 2400 terabytes written for each model and a TurboWrite buffer size varying from 12GB to 78GB for each storage capacity.
The Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO come in different weights.
- Samsung 850 EVO: The Samsung 850 EVO has a maximum weight of 55g.
- Samsung 850 EVO: This solid-state drive has a maximum weight of 62g.
Pros and Cons
Before our final verdict, we will go over a few pros and cons of the Samsung 850 EVO and the Samsung 860 EVO.